Friday, July 24, 2009

The 6th Movie

Name of Topic Being Reviewed: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Category: Movie
Rating: Tumbling BabyTumbling BabyTumbling Baby

True to the news in the paper that I had read before I watched the movie, they've put an invisibility cloak on about 70% of the Half-Blood Prince movie. They have the basic plot, but how they went about the movie was different from the book.

It was actually a good thing, I've read that article before I've watched the movie because on the day that I had watched it, I had prepared myself to think that I was watching just another regular fantasy fiction movie and not a movie based on the book. While it worked for some parts, of course, I couldn't really escape from comparing. But since I was prepared to face the wrath of the director, the movie to me was more or less okay. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't amazingly great either.

I couldn't help but search for some scenes that I thought was important in the book, like I was hoping they show more scenes of the pensieve and not just two memories. It would have been great to show the real origins of Voldemort, which would have answered the question why he was Slytherin's heir. And I was hoping that I would see Ralf Fiennes with a nose in those memories. The guy who played the teenage Tom Riddle looked gay. I was also looking for fight scenes near the end of the story when Dumbledore was killed. It would have been a terrific battle scene.

Dumbledore's death was also anti-climatic. The build up was there. Everyone must have been anticipating how he would die, only to watch him fall of the tower in slow motion...though I was a bit touched when they all raised their wants to clear off the Skull in the sky. But it left me wondering and asking, "that's it?"

Though, there were good points. I loved how Tom Felton acted as Draco Malfoy. You could see the emotions in his eyes. The look of fear and the torment of failing his task was clearly scene every time he was shown on screen. Emma Watson as Hermione was also great. Her eyes clearly showed confusion, amusement and embarrassment all at the same time whenever she looks at Rupert Grint.

I would have loved to see who was supposed to play Bill and Charlie. They were suppose to be there in the 6th book but they were never shown in the movie, as well as the girl who played Fleur.

But watching it from the point of view of just another random fantasy fiction movie, it was alright. The scenes, though were a bit confusing at times, were usually amusing and entertaining. You could feel how the actors portray their characters very well. The scenery was very nice. It was very picturesque.

All in all, it was an okay movie. Like I said, it wasn't awful but it wasn't great either. It wasn't as dark as I would have hoped but just right for a PG 13 movie.

No comments: